Mastering Design Systems Book
A 60 step blueprint for success. Sign up for our launch offer.
Book launch postponed
Unlock the secrets of successful design systems with 'Design System Mastery'. It’s more than theory; it’s a blueprint for action. This book stands apart in its field, offering 60 practical tasks to help beginners and experienced professionals create a system that can scale across an entire organisation.
"Design System Mastery" is more than just a theoretical exploration; it presents a proven blueprint of steps and activities to implement a successful design system. This guide emphasizes the collaborative nature of design systems, integrating product design knowledge, technical know-how, and creative expertise.
Whether you are a freelancer, individual designer, developer, or product expert, this book offers invaluable insights and practical advice to help you create a lasting and impactful design system.
- Steps Ahead
- Align All Aims
- Prepare and Gather the Code and Design Assets for Audits
- Establish a Design System Governance Model
- Define the Design System Scope and Boundaries
- Establish a Map of Influence
- Source for Roadmaps of Teams Involved
- Recognize Current Patterns in the Code and Design
- Research New Design & Coding Patterns
- Interview Prospective Users of the Design System
- Draft a List of the Pilot Teams
- Schedule Pilot Team Presentations
- Select Important Stakeholders, then Arrange Interviews
- Illustrate Your Ecosystem
- Schedule and Interview the End Users
- Conduct Scheduled Stakeholder Interviews
- Execute Pilot Team Evaluations and Assessments
- Create Proposed Design System Repository and Asset Library
- Create a Frontend Workshop for Building UI Components
- Educate the Design Team on the Basics of HTML and CSS
- Educate Engineering Team on the Basics of Figma
- Educate Designers on the Basics of Git
- Educate Designers on the Basics of Storybook
- Execute Hot Potato
- Take part in the Sprint Planning Sessions of the Pilot Teams.
- Engage in Exercises Utilizing an Existing Design System
- Implement a Pilot Practice
- Create a Design System Design Language Glossary
- Choose the First Three Components of the Pilot
- Generate Stakeholder Interview Ideas and Understandings
- Forward the Initial Report to Stakeholders
- Develop a Map of the Design System Scope and Boundaries
- Create a Design System Communication Channel
- Develop the First Version of Your Reference Website
- Develop Roadmap for Implementation of Components
- Suggest a Collaborative Strategy to Pilot Teams
- Generalize Component using Hot Potato
- Update the Pilot Teams about In-Progress Abstracting Components Work
- Improve Component Through Hot Potato Iterations
- Engineers, Writers, and Designers Record the Process
- Send Pull Request to Add Newly Abstracted Component
- Create a Design System Usability Test Component Plan with Pilot Teams
- Perform Component Last Iteration
- Forward Design System Update to Stakeholders
- Identify Three Main Ideas or Concepts
- Prepare a List of Possible Names for the Design System
- Design the First Version of the Design System Logo
- Publish Design System Working Hours on the Calendar
- Create some design system swag
- Forward Update to Slack Channel Regarding First Component
- Organize A Design System Week
- Forward the Design System Name and Final Logos to the Legal and Brand Team
- Iterate through Tasks 36 to 42 for Design System Next Component
- Define the Design System Versioning Strategy
- Create a Design System Analytics and Metrics Plan
- Develop a Design System Feedback and Issue Tracking Process
- Define a Design System Maintenance Plan
- Develop a Design System Security and Privacy Guidelines
- Create a Design System Performance Guidelines
- Organize a Design System Party
- Celebrate the wins
Clients we've worked with
Still have questions?
What will I learn from "Design System Mastery"?
“Design System Mastery” offers a comprehensive understanding of design systems. You’ll learn how to build a design system from scratch, understand common challenges and solutions, and see how to apply these systems to different types of projects. This book is ideal for designers, developers, and managers seeking to improve consistency and efficiency in their design processes.
Who should read this book?
This book is perfect for UX/UI designers, product managers, front-end developers, and anyone involved in the digital product design process. Whether you’re a beginner looking to understand the basics of design systems or an experienced professional aiming to refine your skills, “Design System Mastery” has valuable insights for you.
How does this book differ from other books on design systems?
“Design System Mastery” is unique in its practical, hands-on approach. It doesn’t just discuss design systems theoretically; it provides a step-by-step blueprint for implementation, backed by real-world examples and insights from over seven years of experience by MATES Incorporated in building successful design systems.
Can I apply the teachings of this book to my current projects?
Absolutely! The strategies and tips provided in “Design System Mastery” are designed to be adaptable and applicable to a wide range of projects, regardless of size or industry. The book guides you through tailoring a design system to meet your specific project needs.
Is the book available in print or on other platforms besides Amazon?
Initially, “Design System Mastery” will be available exclusively as an eBook on Amazon. This decision allows us to quickly and efficiently distribute the book to a wide audience globally. While we understand the charm of a physical copy, the eBook format ensures immediate access for those eager to dive into the world of design systems. Keep an eye on our website and subscribe to our newsletter for updates on potential future availability in other formats and platforms!